Egg Incubator Buyers Guide
This guide covers the following topics:
- Selecting the Right Incubator
- Which Accessories do I need?
- Getting the Best Value
- Why Buy from the IncubatorWarehouse?
- Incubation Basics
1) Selecting the Right Incubator
Below is a table summary of the most popular incubator choices. See below table for commentary.
|Chickbator||HovaBator 1602N||Little Giant 9200||IncuView||HovaBator 1588|
|Price||$20||~$45 (w/o Fan)||~$45 (w/o Fan)||$TBD||$155|
|Thermostat Type||None||Bi-metal - ON/OFF
||Electronic - ON/OFF
||Digital Electronic Proportional||Digital Electronic ON/OFF|
|Window Size||Full||4x6||4x8||Full -360 degree
|Egg Turner Racks||None||Universal, Quail, Goose||Universal, Quail||One Turner does ALL
||Universal, Quail, Goose|
|Egg Capacity (Chicken)||2-3||41||41||24||41|
|Dimensions (LxWxH)||8" x 8" x 6"||18.5" x 18.5" x 9"||18" x 18" x 8"||14" x 14" x 8"||18.5" x 18.5" x 9"|
|Sanitation Liner||N/A||Included||None||Plastic Case||Included|
The Chickbator is only for beginning hobbyists and not a very precise incubator. Do not purchase with hopes of a high hatch rate. The heater is simply a light bulb that stays on all the time (no dimmer or thermostat).
Little Giant 9200 vs Hova Bator 1602N
Many customers ask us about the differences between these incubators. They will both hold the same quantity of eggs and the turners work the same for each one (the Little Giant egg turner is slightly higher quality). The HovaBator & Little Giant are both known to do a fine job incubating eggs. There are a few differences (ALSO See table above):
1) First, the thermostats are very different. The Hova Bator uses a mechanical wafer-style thermostat. It works great but you will need to install it (not very difficult and comes with good instructions). Some people complain that the Little Giant thermostat is difficult to set. The reason why people complain about this is because the Little Giant adjusts it's temperature range in ONE half-circle rotation, using a tiny shaft about 1/4" in diameter (So you have to be very precise in turning the tiny knob, it is easy to over adjust) and the Hova Bator adjusts it's temperature in a multi turn rotation (one full rotation of the adjustment knob will provide a small temperature change).
-An easy solution to the Little Giant Thermostat is to affix your own knob to the 1/4" Shaft. An easy low-cost way to do this is to take a round disc and drill a hole in the center. This will make it much easier to make small precise changes to the temperature.
2) The Hova Bator comes with an easy to clean sanitary liner for the bottom of the incubator. The Little Giant does not.
3) The Little Giant viewing windows are a little larger than the Hova Bator.
4) The Hova Bator has a slightly higher ceiling which gives it room enough to fit goose eggs in the egg turner (if you get the goose rails accessory). The Little Giant does not have a goose rail turner option since the ceiling is too low.
Our experience shows that both incubators work well and will get the job done. When asked to give an opinion we prefer the HovaBator 1602N over the Little Giant 9200. It is just a matter of preference. We have sold TONS of each one with very happy customers for both.
Details Coming Soon
HovaBator Genesis 1588 Preset
The Genesis Hova-Bator is pre-set for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water and eggs. Nothing to set up or adjust. Advantages of this incubator over the Little Giant 9200 & the HovaBator 1602N are:
- Preset Electronic Thermostat
- Built-In Thermometer/Hygrometer
- Full Viewing Window
- Circulated air fan is already installed
- Power supply accepts 110V-240V AC - Good for International Customers
- Safe Low Voltage DC Power
2) Which Accessories do I need?
Based on feedback from our customers most people find that just buying a still air incubator is not enough to get the results they want. We have listed our most commom accessories below (in order of importance). Don't forget to consider buying items together, you will save money on shipping costs and product costs by buying a kit (see next section).
Thermometer/Hygrometer (A Hygrometer measures humidity) The ChickBator, HB 1602N, LG 9200, & HB1588 all come with a glass thermometer and nothing to measure humidity (Hygrometer). This makes getting a thermometer/hygrometer a necessity.
Circulated Air Fan Kit
Uniform temperature is critical in incubation. A fan kit will help increase your hatch rates.
Egg Turner/Quail Rails
Eggs must be turned 3+ times per day in order to prevent the bird from becoming stuck inside the egg. Buying an auto egg turner is optional, but most people find they just don't have the discipline and/or time to turn the eggs that many times with work schedules, errands, life, etc.
This accessory is the most fun of all of them. Short of watching the eggs hatch, there is nothing quite as exciting as watching the bird move and develop while still inside the egg.
Once your birds hatch your birds need special care to keep them warm and safe
Good Feeders & Waterers will save you from constantly changing water and feed
Egg O Meter
For users who want to see the temperature that really counts. The internal egg temperature.
3) Combo Kits - Best Value
Our most popular items are our Combo Kits because we offer a wide range of products & accessories at GREAT prices and reduced shipping costs. Click on one of the incubator names below and you will be taken to the most popular kit for that incubator (once in the listing, scroll down to see all the kit options for that incubator).
4) Why Buy from Incubator Warehouse?
You get 2 great GUARANTEES:
1) 1 Year Hassle Free Guarantee
Our Hassle Free Guarantee enhances the Manufacturer's Warranty. If anything goes wrong within the first year of ownership we will make it right. We stand behind every sale we make.
2) Low Price Guarantee
If a buyer finds a better price on the same item elsewhere we'll beat that price. Guarantee only applies to product price (excludes shipping costs). Buyer must document the better price and submit for review (website link, screenshot, advertisement, etc.) All Claims must be submitted to us using the ebay contact form (see bottom of listing for contact form). Submissions will be reviewed within 1-2 business days. Guarantee excludes auctions, used or refurbished, clearance, completed listings, or past sales/advertisements.
5) Incubation Basics
Click here to view our incubation guide
Still Need Help? Call us at 208-740-1EGG (1344)
We try to answer all phone calls, but if we are on the phone with another customer we may not be able to answer, please leave a message. We can usually be reached, Mon-Thurs 8am to 5pm & Fri 8am to 3pm MST.